Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Horse That Hasn't Left

'Yes, I can pick him up. But I can't KEEP him'. My famous last words. Most veterinarians have too many animals. It seems like one more isn't really going to make that much difference. And it doesn't, but caring for animals in herds is diferent than caring for them as individuals. In this case, any care at all would be a big improvement for this young colt.
We had been getting phone calls reporting a loose horse for weeks. High school kids almost hit him on the way to school. A client called that he was in the middle of the road one morning on her way to work in the dark. He was tied to some heavy object by a 30 foot piece of rope. Apparently the owner didn't consider dragging this weight down the road 'loose.' This went on for awhile then the reports started to include a horrible wound on a leg.

The local humane investigator went out to the owner's farm to see about the horse in question and check on the others. The others seemed to be alright (and even inside a fence of sorts). The colt was still tied but in the yard this time. There was a bandage of sorts on a hind leg. The wound smelled terrible and was obviously draining.

For some reason the horse owner wanted to know if the humane agent was armed, when he replied that he wasn't, the horse owner was pleased to announce he was. Maybe he thought it was legal to shoot humane investigators if they're on your property. Or maybe he thought intimidation was the way to go. Seems to me it was time to call the local police but the humane investigator is obviously more experienced with crazy people than I am.

The humane investigator pointed out that the horse needed veterinary care. The owner declared the horse wasn't worth what the vet would charge to look at it. They negotiated. The owner offered to shoot the horse right now. The humane investigator offered to take the horse off his hands if he would sign it over. I guess it was too much trouble to shoot the horse - even if he was already packing the gun - the owner signed it over.

That's when I get the call: 'Do you know anyone that can pick up this horse right away?' 'I suppose I could, my trailer is hooked up.' The humane investigator wanted the horse moved right away, just in case the owner decided it was a good day to use his gun.

We were allowed to take the horse off the property, but not his 30 foot rope. Probably needs that for another horse. So I put one of my ropes on him and tried to lead him to the trailer. He didn't lead so well. Pressure on his head was no big deal after pulling that chunk of metal around for months. I'm tugging on him, anxious to get the heck out of the yard, and he decides it is time to bite this annoying human. This colt didn't see what the hurry was. He did decide to come along peacefully though. That bite was the first and last bad thing he did to me. I showed him the trailer. He thought it was interesting to look at, but not get into. Then I realized he's pretty skinny, grain might be just the thing. I found a bucket and some grain in the trailer (lucky), and showed him that. FOOD? He didn't need to think about it, he got in the trailer. I set the bucket of grain in a manger so he could eat while we drove. I figured lets make the trip fun for him anyway.

That was the start of a long project. The wound was big and exposed a lot of bone. The bandage that was on the leg when we picked up the horse was so tight I worried his lower leg had been deprived of circulation. I didn't send him off to the rescue because I didn't want them stuck with horse that might have of hoof slough off. When he was past that scare, I noticed the exposed piece of bone in the wound (about 4" long) was loose and wobbling when I cleaned the wound. That led to radiographs and concerns that the bone might fracture or be too infected to heal. Eventually the loose piece of bone popped off and the wound continued to heal. By that time the little guy had lived with us for 6 weeks. He was always trying to please. He would stand still for bandage changes, didn't spook at anything, learned how to be brushed and always seemed very surprised that we kept bringing him food. He didn't ever try to bite again and that is unusual for a colt.

Eventually we tried to find him a home, but the people didn't adopt him because they thought we were too attached! The more we explained everything he learned how to do, the more they thought we liked him. So he now lives with all the other horses. He is the baby in the group and they are teaching him how to behave. Most mornings when I come out to feed hay I see him way out in the pasture trying to find old dead grass to eat. He whinnys and runs in when he sees that hay is coming. The leg is getting better and doesn't seem to bother him. I just wonder when he'll realize that the hay will always show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment